I had the honor of having a phone interview with Miss Salibi. It really gives you a better idea of who she is!
* So tell me about yourself- when did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer? : I always wanted to design. Was into illustration, art and when I was younger I was into animation. I moved to Lebanon and that's when everything changed. I was glued to F tv (Fashion TV) most of my teen years. I graduated and then made my way to LA to go to design school. I graduated from design school in 2008 with honors. Everything took off from there! I traveled, did independent work and projects and now two years later…Oscar Design Challenge!
* What is your design style or where do you get your inspiration from? : So many things- everything around me. I am constantly thinking, designing in my head. Music and art (big art fan) inspire me. It really comes from everywhere. Eventually it unconsciously comes out in my designs…I start designing through my own eyes all that I have experienced.
*What are some of your accomplishments as a designer? (aside from the obvious Oscar Design Challenge!): While in design school I won the TALA award. I was the only junior who has ever won that award.
*How did it feel to win the Oscar Design Challenge & see your dress on-stage at the Academy Awards? : It was amazing. I really didn’t think I would win! Very unexpected...a shock. Making this dress was a process. I knew I was getting into trouble because of the laser cut leather. Laser-cut leather is very rare to find and therefore, I had to design the fabric, had it cut myself- The whole design changed drastically from start to finish. It was a very big challenge...wasn't easy. I guess it all paid off in the end... (Me: Yeh, it did! You won! haha).
(http://raniasalibi.com/--her own personal site)
Thanks, Rania!!!
Miss Salibi was one of nine designers to take on the Oscar Design Challenge, a competition in which the designers needed to design an original gown which would be worn on-stage by a presenter at the Academy Awards. Rania's design won! It was on-stage for all to see on the live telecast of the Academy Awards! I jumped from my seat when I saw the presenter strut out with Rania's dress on. I am so excited for her & also love that I can feature her on my blog for all of you to see. (I e-mailed Rania this past week and she responded right away that she would love to be featured on my blog. She is not only a great designer, but also very nice as well! :)
Now, about this dress she designed...
http://oscar.go.com/ -->if you missed Rania's dress at the Academy Awards!
As you can see, the dress is an exquisite strapless, form-fitting gown in silk and taffeta AND laser cut leather(!). Wow. Laser cut leather? You would think that the leather would make it appear somewhat stiff and immovable, but no! It was actually quite the opposite (as seen on-stage at the Academy Awards). The dress flowed extremely well & the entire design gave off an image of pure glamor. Not only is it a beautiful piece to behold, it also shows the designer's true talent and passion for designing. Laser cut leather...I love this.
“It’s an honor to be part of the Oscar Designer Challenge,” said Miss Salibi. “The Oscars represent the pinnacle of fashion, and it’s an incredible opportunity for any aspiring, young designer. I am honored to be selected from among a group of truly talented designers.” (yalibnan.com)
I would watch our for Rania Salibi...she is coming out as a true talent in couture designing. I would not be surprised at all to see her designs all over the runway in the near future!






loved the phone interview!! :) very creative & inspirring blog!!! i'm followin you now...love it if u could do the same.
ReplyDeletehttp://takosntekila.blogspot.com/
great interview! her design is gorgeous, how exciting! i love the use of laser cut leather-- so unique!
ReplyDelete